For nearly nine decades, Rockefeller Group has initiated some of the most memorable endeavors in American commercial real estate. Our proud tradition of real estate excellence began with the vision and development of the world’s finest urban business and entertainment complex – Rockefeller Center.
The company marked its 80th anniversary on December 6, 2008. It was incorporated December 6, 1928, as the Metropolitan Square Corporation. After building the original 6 million-square-foot, Art Deco complex throughout the 1930s and into the ’40s, Rockefeller Group developed several towers in the ’50s and ’60s. By the early ’70s, the company had added four International Style towers to Rockefeller Center on the west side of Avenue of the Americas, more than doubling the size of the original center – including 1211, 1221, 1251 and 1271 Avenue of the Americas.
Beginning in the mid-1970s, Rockefeller Group applied its distinctive brand of quality to develop signature office complexes across the country, and the company began acquisitions and formations of new business lines complementary to its office development and management core.